Sunday, December 19, 2010

So much change...


...in such a short time! That's why I have neglected this blog so much...

Since the last time I've posted, so much has changed. I sent my first-born off to college at Northern IL University. I left my position as Director, Nontraditional Learning at Moraine Valley Community College and took a position as Senior Lecturer at The Ohio State University, so I moved to Columbus, Ohio. I no longer own a car (it died two weeks before I left Illinois and I decided to try to live without one for a while instead of saddling myself with a car payment.) As a result of all the walking and bus-hopping, I lost over 25 pounds (I'm still amazed!). I am doing a temporary "single parent" gig (yes, I brought our younger son with me and my hubby is still in Illinois). I prepped for and taught three courses (nearly 70 students)--I've just finished my first quarter at The Ohio State University. Now all of this is pretty cool, but one of the most neat things is this:

I have learned to LOVE living a much more simpler life.

I don't have TV or video games in our home. I cut my monthly bills waaaay down. We walk everywhere so I never think about where to park on campus. I am doing my part to reduce harmful emissions in the environment. We shop only when I need something. It's crazy--I don't miss all the hoopla of my former life. I have time to study and think and write. I LOVE IT!!! I'm still a technophile, but I'm living without very much technology and it's OK. I use the Internet on my laptop and I have a phone that does only phone calls and text messaging--none of the newer fancy stuff. I'm learning about myself through this experience and it's wonderful. Columbus is a great city. My younger son is happy and healthy. I can't wait to see what else is on the horizon.

I'm am working on some articles and grant proposals in between prepping for next quarter classes, so I'll have lots to write about in the very near future. Right now, I'm planning to internationalize my adolescent development course--I am partnering with a professor at the University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez to have my class collaborate with hers. We are starting slowly with just a project and a couple synchronous meetings. I am very excited! I will be posting more about this project very soon. Stay tuned!

No comments: